Monday, June 23, 2008

Two Weeks in Meridian

(Original posting 5.17.08)

Now that we've unpacked most of our boxes and have internet working at the house I'm hoping to start blogging more. Here's an update of what's happened since we've been here:

Our real estate agent and Paul Hatfield, pastor of the Pursuit here in Boise, gathered over a dozen people to help us move in. When we arrived, about two weeks ago, it took us about 2 hours to move in. God is good!

During the unloading process, we experienced a 4-5 minute dust storm. The wind kicked up and everything beyond 10 feet away had an old school sepia tone to it. It stopped suddenly, cleared up, and then we had a couple of minutes of hall (that's frozen ice falling from the sky for those Californians reading this). It's noteworthy to add that it was probably in the 60's while this all happened. After that, it was back to the sunshine.

We've been meeting people and making connections since we got here. We've had dinner with one young couple, and have made plans for more encounters.

We also had dinner with some of our neighbors. While we were teaching them Settlers of Catan, it came out that she was a church secretary for awhile. How cool is that! They are really neat people and Tam and I look forward to getting to know them better.

I've also decided to get a job. I had originally planned on doing this for financial reasons, but the Lord is faithfully meeting our needs and those of Connections, so being bi-vocational is not my motivation. The main reason is to meet people and be part of the community. It really feels like the right decision. The job I'm looking into required a two-week class during which God allowed me to make some great connections.

I've had conversations with people about their hearts and how they view God. I really believe those discussions were ordained.

Tammi just flew home from one final job in California, during which she too was able to open doors of communication with people from the area and spark some interest - in Connections, but even more so, in Christ. I think we've met enough people to start a Bible study. We're hoping to kick that off next week.

I want to say one more time that the field is so ripe here. Everyone we talk to is so friendly and open to spiritual things. The lady who rang up my groceries the other day asked why I moved to town and told her I was starting a new church. We were finishing up the transaction and she made me wait until she could find a pen to write down Connection's web address. Again, people are hungry.

I know this entry is just a potpourri of random things God is dong, but the point is, He is moving and we are still on the ride of our life! We can't wait til next month when two more families join us!

No comments: