Friday, November 21, 2008

Saturday Night

Now that we're settling in with 3 kids, I wanted to share some good news about connections. This last Saturday night John and I did a sermon called, "I choose joy." We talked about the difference between american happiness, which is usually based on entertainment or chocolate, and true Joy which is found only in Christ. We challenged people to figure out what steals their joy and try to find the antidote. 
As most of you know, we consider ourselves a creative church, so we try to do things outside the norm of sing 5 songs, preach for 40 minutes and go home.  We love all churches and realize we're all hitting different segments, but I just get bored too easily, so we have to mix it up.  This last Saturday I showed interviews with two of the most joy filled people I know.  I asked them both, "What are the keys to your joy?"  They gave us some great tips!
We also handed out balloons to all the adults for service. These were regular helium balloons.  At the beginning of service, John (this was his concept) encouraged them to release their balloons any time they felt joy.  Some did during the music, others during the sermon or videos.  It was cool to see.
There's a "B" side to this story.  The ceiling in the church where we meet is 25 feet in the air.  How do you get 25 balloons off a 25 foot ceiling?  We had thought about this prior to service, but our original ideas didn't work.  How would you get them down?  Add a comment with your ideas and on my next blog I'll tell you what we did. MacGyver would have been proud.  The good part was we got to hang out at the church for a couple extra hours.  It was good fellowship time.  Not as good as say, taco bell, but still good!
Last weekend we had 6 new people join us.  The neighbors to my East have been coming to connections since our house church days, this weekend, the neighbors to the west showed up! It was great to see them.  Also, we had a gentlemen who is considering doing some music with us. He's a BSU student and a really nice guy.  We also had one other really friendly family come hang out.  It's amazing at this stage how important every family is!  Our numbers stayed up after our cookout.  I expected them to drop after a big weekend the saturday before.  These last two weeks we've been in the 40's.  If we can see two more weeks of growth, I think we'll set an official launch date.  We'll see how it goes!
So, 25 balloons . . . 25 feet in the air . . . what'cha gonna do?

5 comments:

Jerolyn Bogear said...

Balloons - Airsoft or BB gun seems the best. I thought about darts, but gravity and darts pose a problem. Excited about all that is happening in the church. PTL!

the sniders said...

i agree with mom - 20 or so guys, airsoft guns, big jim, and 25 targets - team with the most ballons wins. :D sounds like a good time to me even if this isn't what you did. :D

Kristen Norton said...

Hmmmm...McGyver--maybe some tape circles on a really long pole of some sort??? I definitely think it somehow involved tape--McGyver would guess duct tape!

Pops said...

OK, I'm with Kristen, long pole, duct tape. Or...maybe long pole with a pin attached to the end with duct tape. McGyver would definitely be using duct tape someway, with tube socks and a belt. But I couldn't work it all in.

Anonymous said...

I know you already solved this, but I would have to say that if you had a pan filled with iodized salt and a buble gun filled with dry ice vapor, you could you the positive charge to create an ionized field that would lower the lighter ballons exponetially. ;~))