Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Day Off




I took last Thursday off and celebrated, "Super Dax Thursday."  My first offspring and I went out for a fun filled day with just the two of us. Our first stop was Boondocks.  Dax and I both got the unlimited ride tickets.  It's like an all-you-can-play-buffet.  We were some of the first ones there and got onto the go carts almost immediately.  Dax is about 2" too short to be a driver, so he had to ride shotgun with me. Since he's only 4 it's probably a good idea that he's not behind the wheel yet. 



After the carts, we spent some time on the water.  The first ones to be in the bumper boats that day, we raced around the lagoon and shot each other with the attached powered squirters. Dax does really well navigating these tubes. Better than his dad.  Soon, others began to see all the fun we were having  and joined us. Everything was great until one kid said, "Let's get this guy!" and proceeded to water down my vessel.  For some reason my shooter shot up over all their evil little heads, but theirs hit me straight in the noggin.  It was time to move on to something else.


 Since before Tam and I married, she has always been able to beat me at miniature golf. We've played many times and I've won exactly once. I attribute my embarrassing win loss record to Tammi's near professional putting skills.  After playing a round with Daxton, I realized one of two things.  Either he's been blessed with his momma's golf genes.  Or, more likely, I'm just a sub par miniature golfer. I was impressed at Daxton's patience, we played all 18 holes of two different courses, and he did very well at keeping his thumbs down. Mom would be proud!



 After a few games of skee ball and air hockey we ate a late lunch at Taco Del Mar. At 2:00 we saw the movie, "Journey to the center of the earth."  I let Dax order the snacks at the counter, "We want the biggest box of popcorn you have." The clerk looked at me and I concurred with Dax, "That's right, the biggest bucket of popcorn you have!" At the local cinema here you get to put on your own butter.  We put on just enough to make it completely unhealthy and then sprinkled on some cheddar powder.  The movie was in 3-D. If you haven't been to a 3D movie in a while, you should go. The movie was pretty good but the 3-D effects are amazing.  More than once Dax and I both jumped out of our seats. 
After the movie ended, we went back to the fun park.  Dax wanted some more golf and bumper boats. I'm not big on back tracking, but it was after all, "Super Dax Thursday."  Luckily we had purchased the unlimited passes.




I knew Daxton was having a great time all day, but the big compliment came late in the day.  Probably around 4:45 or so Dax said, "This is the best day EVER!" Can you guess what would lead him to say that?  After all the fun things we did that day, what would make him say, " . . . best day ever?" That super compliment came after we bought gas for the van and I let him have his own 1 liter of Mountain Dew. A liter for Dad, a liter for Dax. That made us both very happy.  





 All that was left to make the perfect day ever "perfecter" was some ice cream.  We'd been planning to have ice cream since when we designed this gaming, sugar-filled adventure.  We ended up at Cold Stone, a favorite of ours when we lived in Sacramento. Daxton ordered the largest mint ice cream and I talked him into adding chunks of Heath Bar so I could share too.  We Sat out on the fountain and talked about all the fun stuff we'd done that day.  After it was all said and done, we arrived safely at home and told mom all about it!  We even shared some of the candy we bought with all the fun tickets we won in skee ball. This is what a day off should be!!!

1 comment:

Pops said...

Sounds like fun!
Wish I could have snuck in on that one!
Dad